Saturday, July 16, 2011

Suva!

I went to Suva this weekend with Mallory, another volunteer, to do some work in the deaf schools. I went for the weekend and had an amazing time! Suva is about a 6 hour bus ride from Ba and it’s kind of the devil to get there but definitely worth it. Ba is so small, it was a little weird to be in an actual city. Suva is beautiful though and right on the water. I went to a handicraft market and got a cool bracelet, went to the temple, ate lunch on the waterfront, got 50 cent ice cream, learned the alphabet in Fiji Sign Language (it’s completely different from ASL – it uses two hands instead of one), got my very own name sign, went to a church dance (yeah….2 ½ hours long. Let’s not talk about it.), went to both an English ward and a Fijian ward (where I didn’t understand a single thing), wandered around the USP campus, and helped at a activity/sports day for all the local special education and deaf schools. All in all it was a great weekend. It was nice to be able to take a break from the routine in Ba and to be in a house with only 5 other people! I also got to try a lot more Fijian food – which I think I might like more than Indian food (minus the fish).

Anyway, here are some pictures:







No comments:

Post a Comment