Saturday, June 25, 2011

Ba Ward Family Fun Day

I made it to Fiji!!! I’ve already gotten my first sunburn, been to a Fijian market, taken numerous cold showers, eaten ground lamb from a can (along with curry, roti, and Indian sweets), and taken a bunch of buses.

We arrived in Fiji at 5:10 am and made it back to our pink house at about 8:30.



The day was spent going into town to go grocery shopping and relaxing. Sunday we went to church in the Ba ward. Our group pretty much doubles (maybe triples) the number of people who regularly attend and we’re pretty much the only people who participate. I’m not sure what goes on in the Primary but pretty much all the little kids just run outside the whole time (every single one of them is seriously so cute). It’s technically winter here so people wear long pants and wrap their babies in blankets and hats. I can’t even believe it because it is so incredibly hot!!!







Monday was a holiday because it was the Queen’s birthday. Even though Fiji is no longer a British colony they still celebrate the holiday. The ward had a Family Fun Day which we went to. The activities were pretty similar to what wards would do in the states. We played volleyball and had different races (sack races, banana eating contests, cream bun eating contests, and coconut scraping contests). The coconut scraping contest was interesting. I tried to do it and one of the Fijians on my team couldn’t handle how slow I was so he told me to step aside….The picture shows the tool they use to scrap out the coconut. You sit on the wooden part and put the bowl on the ground to catch the shavings. Anyway, once they had scraped out the coconut they mixed it with water and sugar to make coconut milk and then they dip bread in it. They call this “refreshment” (which we would call dessert). It was actually pretty delightful. I’m not the biggest fan of soggy bread but it was really sweet and delicious. The bread here is amazing.

Our house doesn’t really have mirrors. I mean, there are a couple but they’re in awkward spots so I never see myself. This is a plus – I look disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment