Saturday, June 25, 2011

Snorkeling

This weekend 8 of us went snorkeling in VoliVoli. We left at about 6:00 am (I know, be shocked that I was ready that early) took a bus to RakiRaki where John, who was a Peace Corps volunteer back in the day, met up with us. John came in contact with HELP International last year and offered to take volunteers out on his boat snorkeling. Three groups of volunteers took him up on it last year and two groups of us have been so far this year. John took us out on his boat, took us to rent snorkel gear, and then we went to this amazing reef in the middle of the ocean. I’ve never been snorkeling before (or on a real boat) so it was quite the experience. Breathing through my mouth definitely took some getting used to but once I got the hang of it, it was really fun. We had great visibility and I felt like I was in Finding Nemo.

We spent about an hour in the first location and then went to an island to do some more snorkeling and hang out on the beach. We were the only ones there and it felt like a cool mixture of Lost, Survivor, and Pirates of the Caribbean. The only part I didn’t like was when we had to swim back to the shore through low tide. I have never felt so claustrophobic in my entire – the reef was seriously right under us. That night we had dinner at the VoliVoli resort. They pretty much only served burgers and fish and that was my first time having beef since I’ve been here.

All in all it was a great day trip away from the house. It was an amazing experience and wasn’t even that expensive - $40 for travel, snorkel gear, and dinner. Not too bad!



No comments:

Post a Comment